Question: How many fard and sunnah rakahs are to be performed for Fajr, thur and Asr.
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatuLlahi wa barakatuHu,
Five daily prayers are obligatory. Each consists of a certain number of rakahs, as follows:
1) Subh is a two rakah prayer.
2) Zuhr is a four rakah prayer.
3) Asr is a four rakah prayer.
4) Maghrib is a three rakah prayer.
5) Isha is a four rakah prayer.
The emphasized supererogatory prayers that are offered along with the obligatory prayers (in Arabic they are called rawatib mu’akkadah رواتب مؤكدة) are as follows:
1) Two rakahs before subh [the morning prayer].
2) Two rakahs before and after zuhr [the afternoon prayer].
3) Two rakahs after maghrib [the after sunset prayer].
4) Two rakahs after isha [the night prayer].
If one wishes he could also pray four rakahs before and after zuhr. Also, one may offer four rakahs before asr [the late afternoon prayer]. And two rakahs before maghrib. One should also be punctual in performing witr. According to the Shafi’is witr is sunnah, while according to the Hanafis it is wajib.
(See: Mughni al-Muhtaj v. 1, p. 450-51)
And Allah knows best.
Answered by Yaqub Abdurrahman