Posted on: 23 April 2019
Sa'd al-Din Mas’ud b. Umar b. ‘Abd Allah al-Harawi al-Khurasani is most famously known as “al-Taftazāni.” Born in the year 712 in Taftazan, he was a Hanafi Imam of Persian descent. Ibn al-Jazri related from Shihab al-Din Ibn Arabshah al-Hanafi that Shaykh Ala al-Din that he passed on to the mercy of his Lord in the year 791 at the age of 80. While others maintained that he passed in 792 in Samarqand.
Taftazni was a diligent student who studied with many of his era’s most senior scholars. Some of them are Qutb al-Din Muhammad al-Razi, Adad al-Din Al-Iji, and Nasim al-Din Abu Abd Allah al-Naysaburi. Under their tutelage, he gained mastery in many subjects, and especially excelled in Arabic linguistics.
Shawkani said regarding him,
“Taftazani gained knowledge from the giants of knowledge of his time. He excelled in many sciences, and his popularity grew such that students would travel to him to study. He began his writing career at the young age of sixteen and soon became matchless in his knowledge during the 8th century AH. His works became popular during his lifetime and were spread out throughout the countries and people would compete to obtain his works.”
The historian Ibn Khaldun remarked,
“In Egypt, I have located many books on the rational sciences authored by the well-known scholar Sa’d al-Din al-Taftazani. His works on theology, legal theory, and rhetoric all indicate to that he had a deep understanding of these sciences.”
Taftazani authored many works. Many of these have featured on the syllabi of traditional seminaries and institutes of higher Islamic learning throughout the centuries. His work on morphology, Sharh Tasrif al-Izzi, was his first and also one of his most famous works. A book he authored at the ripe age of sixteen. In fact, on account of this commentary, when Taftazāni moved to Jurjan his popularity grew and students began flocking to him. His works included:
- Sharh Tasrif al-Izzi (738 A.H.).
- al-Irsad (778).
- al-Ni’am al-Sawabigh fi Shar al-Nawabigh.
- Tahdhib al-Mantiq wa al-Kalam (739).
- Sharh al-Risalat al-Shamsiyyah (752).
- Sharh al-Aqa’id al-Nasafiyyah (767).
- Maqasıd al-Talibin fi Ilm Usul al-Din (784).
- al-Talwih fi Kashf Haqa’iq al-Tanqih (758).
- al-Fatawa al-Hanafiyyah (759).
- Hashiyat Mukhtasar al-Muntaha (770).
- Miftah al-Fiqh (782).
- Ihtisar Sharh Talkhis al-Jami al-Kabir (785).
- Sharh al-Fara’id al-Sirajiyyah.
- Mukhtasar Sharh Talkhis al-Jami al-Kabir.
- al-Mutawwal (747).
- Mukhtasar al-Ma'ani (756).
- Sharh Miftah al-Ulum (787).
- Hashiyat Al-Kashshaf (789).
- Kashf Al-Asrar wa Uddat Al-Abrar.
- Sharh al-Arba’īn al-Nawawiyyah.